Tuesday 1 October 2019

Zipped Ostreoidea

It's 1st of October 2019. Nothing interesting, nothing new. As far as me writing on this blog, it's a disaster. Admittedly the only thing I do is keep track of B9TLs and E400s heading over to their new lives. Perhaps I was busy, perhaps I was lazy. All I know is, I like VLAs...
I've made best use of my 16+ zip oyster having rarely been on trains until the very last day, 30th September. I've organized myself a day trip into East London, and topped up.

SEN39 (YX09FLP), Crown Lane/Crown Point
I started my day by not boarding the 432 to Crystal Palace but by taking a detour to Crown Point. This undoubtedly wasted my time but I unintentionally got a photo of a diverted 315 which I didn't prepare for, still a photo nonetheless. By the time 5 minutes had passed and boarded a 17-reg HV on 249, the 432 behind the one I could've waited 4 minutes for crossed ahead at the Westow Hill junction. I've already done this to know it's a waste of time but I felt the need to be on a B5LH than a B9TL.

I didn't trust the Crystal Palace branch of the Overground so I looked up when the next 122's coming... 17 minutes. I was very tempted to board the 450 changing drivers but a Not-in-Service Stagecoach E40H was making it's way round the bus station, and it did. The 450 takes the circuitous route via Dulwich Wood Park and Kingswood Drive serving 5 stops whereas the 122 heads straight on Westwood Hill. I made it to Sydenham in a jiffy and utilized the £1 I topped up earlier.

Benefits of not photographing LEDs often.
378 215 headed to West Croydon
Sydenham. If I didn't take the 196 but waited for the 432, I wouldn't have to wait 8 minutes for barely missing the train. I did have a pleasant wait though in the damp cold. Announcement of a Southern train blockage which led to a London Bridge train being cancelled... a tree falling over. A Thameslink train whizzing by southbound with a Southeastern 375 in close pursuit. In the other direction a 4-car Southern Class 171 polluting past with it's diesel multiple unit structure. Eventually, the 8 minute wait ticked down and I found a seat.

In order to get to East whilst keeping costs low, I decided Gants Hill would be the best option. Unless you lived under a rock like me, you'd know going through Zone 1 adds cost. Benefits of the Overground put to full use. I didn't note my Highbury & Islington train but it took a crawling and tiring 19 minutes to Canada Water where I immediately got a Jubilee to Stratford. Thus far 27 minutes since I tapped in, 0 minutes for the pink reader to interchange at Canada Water.
The latest news on the underground is slowing down certain parts of certain lines due to health & safety issues regarding hearing, I did get a glimpse going through the corners into North Greenwich.
12 minutes to Stratford, 39 minutes down. I slowly got off the emptied train and took notice of the bus station as it's been a while since I last visited, even more so from a train station. I sped up as I didn't want to take more chances into what for me is... the unknown.
DMV44254 YX12AKZ, South Woodford
Being used to maps and map-drawing, my sense of direction never failed me yet. Speed walked down the escalator, on to the hall of interchanging, a right on to a staircase taking two steps at a time as a Central just arrives and made it in, barely. I didn't know where it was heading until we arrived at the next stop; Leyton. It was an Epping train; this threw my Gants Hill plan out of the window but I'm not a man without back up plans. On the off-chance I did, South Woodford would be my alternative destination, also for a mere 75p. There I'd take a 179 straight to Claybury Broadway. My ulterior motive all along. All in all, 54 minutes spent from tapping in at Sydenham to tapping out at South Woodford.

South Woodford Station
Surprise surprise. I just missed a 179. Today of all days I never thoroughly planned my trip out and relied only on sense of direction and the help of Google Maps for the most part. Still, I followed a W14 heading to Woodford Bridge I assumed (it was) into a one-way system. A no-entry road to the left, two rather narrow roads ahead for a 10.8m E200 let alone an E400. To my right... bus-stop get!

The scenery was erm, soulless if I'm honest.


10179 on the 179 (SN63JWF), South Woodford
Iflord-bound 179 came behind a Leytonstone W13. Nothing unusual..

No, I was given a survey and a pen to fill it with.
I didn't take it seriously but I did add some very interesting answers in. Someone who'd travel on a 179 from Sydenham to get to Claybury Broadway for 'other' reasons. Mind boggling.  Either way, a short ride on a typical Voith Enviro400 that couldn't stop disgracing itself with near-spaz attacks.


Arrived at the stop conveniently named 'Claybury Broadway' in the best part of 6 minutes. The only thing there is a few shops and houses, with the other side being a forest.
Technically it's a broadway...

Irregardless, I got to where I needed to be. Once again I will, for the final time, reminisce life with VLAs in one trip on a VLA that hasn't spent it's life at Norwood (N) but was born and bred in Barking (DX). A Euro 3 emissions certified Volvo D7C engine, rated at 215hp and 250hp (most refurbished to 250hp due to power issues). Equipped to a lifely ZF Ecomat 5-speed gearbox. The classic Volvo B7TL chassis at 10m long and 2.5m wide. On the 4.3m tall Transbus (originally by Alexander) ALX400 bodywork.
VLA130 (LJ05GME), Clayhall Avenue

Actions speak louder than words, feast your eyes on this video:
Noting it did leave early as my friend predicted, by 2 minutes but it was floored too.



After an interesting end-to-end of an epic ride, with regulation in Seven Kings as we caught up to our leader, T72. We also left behind a 17 minute gap to the next bus. I enthusiastically loved the ride but brought detriment to the service. Whatever was left of it.
19754 (LX11BCZ), Chadwell Heath
Once I got to Romford, I lost sense of where I needed to be. I'd have preferred to go back to Romford Market but at the same time I genuinely wanted VLA57. I loitered a short while, looking lost until I saw an 86 departing but held by people who ran and obstructed it's way. The driver frustrated, I joined in. I wouldn't mind staying for a while but I wanted to play safe.
Technically I've done 86 end to end but in grueling sections. Stratford to Goodmayes, Chadwell Heath to Ilford and now Romford to Chadwell Heath. In ALX400s, a different Enviro400 and 19817.
Chadwell Heath.

I debated if it's worth going up this road but I double backed instead
DW331 (LJ60AXP), Chadwell Heath Lane
I got off at Whalebone Lane and walked around to buy time as VLA57 was already there as I got off en-route King George Hospital, but I wanted it towards Beckton on the 50mph A13. In the meantime I got myself a drink, rest a bit, and walked into town nearer the station. As I walked by, countless 62s and 86s passed by, a sole King George 173 and almost two 362s came by the time I got on VLA57. Almost. Once again I was caught out by 368's routeing like I was last time as I thought it'd stop at Chadwell Heath Lane but I wasn't wright. The 368 was indeed a DW.

Again, actions speak louder than words. The clip:


-
WVLs 474 (LJ61NXD), 476 (LJ61NXF)
to Wanstead and Gallions Reach, respectively
After this, I made my way to North Woolwich Ferry on 11048 on the 474. I debated if it's worth heading to Canning Town but changed mind. It was raining heavily by the time I alighted my 474 and the ship wasn't already departed, I wasn't going to wait in the rain but I did follow the flock of people crossing the river. The foot tunnel. An exercising near-100 steps down, a solid 6 minute walk to meet another near-100 step staircase (or take the lift, I barely missed it, and I needed to exercise myself, win-win). Quite luckily on exit at the foot tunnel was a 472 Scania in slow-moving traffic which allowed me to catch it.

That's pretty much it. I was in rush hour so I was sardined in the Jubilee and Overground trains mostly within 4 minutes wait, had to fork 60p on top of the remaining 25p to meet the balance required. That or I would've subject myself to making it home at an uncivilized hour.

The thought just sunk to me that my last post was the 227 one in July... well, I won't make promises I can't back. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the post and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment